PAWS 4 Wellness - the most PAWSitive day of the year! Join the Ottawa Humane Society and put an end to "ruff" days at the office.
Monday, January 21st is popularly known as Blue Monday – one of the saddest days of the year. In 2019, we want to help local businesses take a "PAWS" in their workplace for some whiskers wellness with an OHS animal visit!
Back to top.
PAWS 4 Wellness is a workplace charitable campaign whereby companies raise money to receive an OHS animal visit at their workplace. In order to receive an animal visit, companies must raise a minimum of $1,000 . OHS animal visits will be one hour in length, and will include a team building activity. Visits will be conducted by trained OHS staff and volunteers.
Back to top.
How to Participate
1. Register Your Workplace – Select an office team captain who will be responsible for registering your office team. Click Register on the homepage. This will take you to the registration page where you will select Register Your Workplace. Follow the prompts to register your workplace team. NOTE: There is no registration fee as the expectation is that your workplace will raise the required $1,000 to receive your OHS animal visit.
2. Begin Fundraising – In order to receive your OHS animal visit, your workplace will be required to raise $1,000 for the Ottawa Humane Society. Depending on your workplace, employees may choose a variety of ways to raise the funds such as:
- Hosting an office event – have a bake sale or an office jean day to raise team funds. Once your event is finished, add these funds to your team page.
- Peer-to-peer fundraising – employees can join their workplace team and create their own personal fundraising page. Employees can then ask friends and family to support them in their fundraising efforts to help Ottawa's animals. All funds raised through employees' personal pages will go towards your office total. To create your own fundraising page, click Register on the homepage. This will take you to the registration page where you will select Join Your Workplace Team.
For those that don't want to create their own page, but want to help with team fundraising, you can also share your team's fundraising page with friends and family and ask them to donate directly to your team.
- Corporate Donation – some workplaces will simply choose to make a corporate donation of $1,000 to their team page so that their employees can enjoy an OHS animal visit!
3. Visit with the Animals – All teams that raise the required $1,000 will receive an OHS animal visit on January 21, 2019. Selection of animals (dog, cat, rabbit etc.) will be done on a first come, first serve basis. The first team to reach $1,000 will receive first choice of animal, and so on and so forth. All funds must be received online, by mail or in-person by January 17, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. EST. This will allow the OHS time to match animals with workplaces, and schedule the animal visits for Monday, January 21, 2019. During your animal visit, there will also be an opportunity to participate in a bandanna decorating team building activity. Employees can either choose to keep their bandanna for their pet, or donate them back to the OHS for animals at the shelter.
4. Share on Social Media – During your OHS animal visit, don't forgot to take a PAWS for a team photo! We want to see all the joy that OHS animals can bring to your workplace.
Back to top.
There are many reasons why companies should get involved in PAWS 4 Wellness 2019 presented by David Burns & Associates. Here are just a few ways that our furry friends can bring wellness to those they meet:
Help Reduce Stress – Animals are great stress-relievers. Studies show that interactions with animals can decrease stress in humans. Reduced stress in the workplace results in higher employee satisfaction and can lead to increased productivity.
Increase Camaraderie – Animals are a great conversation starter. Co-workers sharing stories about their pets helps to strengthen interpersonal bonds among employees. Employees can also participate in team building activities to raise the money for their animal visit (E.g. bake sale, jean day etc).
Giving Back to the Community – Many companies have corporate policies around social responsibility and are eager to give back to the communities in which they serve. Employees will feel good knowing their workplace donation will help provide Ottawa's animals with food, medical care and shelter. Through the animal visit, employees will also help provide the love and socialization that OHS animals need while waiting for their forever home.
Back to top.
What Does PAWS 4 Wellness Support
This event will help the nearly 10,000 animals that the OHS cares for each year. Providing housing, veterinary care, food and companionship to these animals for as long as they remain at the OHS. Your support will also help fund the following OHS programs:
LEAD (Leadership Education in Adolescents & Dog) – a therapeutic program designed to benefit at-risk youth and hard-to-place shelter dogs through goal setting, basic obedience training and socialization.
Pet Savvy – workshops in underserved communities which teach pet health-care and maintenance skills to alleviate the stress of unforeseen veterinary costs.
Brightening Lives Animal Visits – a program whereby volunteers take animals to hospitals, retirement residences and other long-term care facilities to bring joy and happiness to isolated people in our community.
Back to top.